Skip to main content

Big dreams for ordinary people by Fred Geke


CHAPTER 2

At night the problem would be particularly bad. We hardly slept. Every gap between our toes, and the tip of every toe, seemed to cry out for urgent scratching every few seconds. With ten toes and eight gaps between them to mind, it wasn't easy to get a good night's sleep. The superstitious among us believed we'd been bewitched.
The riddle was soon solved. We had jiggers. Jiggers are little fleas that burrow their way into the skin between the toes or under the toe nails, in time growing into a white egg-filled little ball with one brown "eye" at the centre. Like babies, they seemed to sleep much of the day and remain awake much of the night.
Break time in school was a sight to behold. We would be seen spread out in the playing field, two by two, sharp thorn in hand, taking turns to pry the jiggers out of each other's toes. This went on for a couple of years before a newly-posted teacher showed us how to eliminate the dust from the classroom floors, thereby eliminating the fleas for good. It was hard work smearing those floors with clay mixed with cow-dung every Friday afternoon, but certainly not half as hard as living with the jiggers.
That was some forty years ago. Some of those kids bent over each other's toes, developing jigger extracting skills, went on to become lawyers, engineers and teachers among other things. I became a high school teacher, and later pastor and author. Yet at that time, I'm not sure that we saw ourselves becoming anything more than jigger-extracting experts.
A number of those kids with jigger-infested toes were called Kennedy, all named after the slain American president. Another good number were named after a local politician who had perished in a car accident years earlier. I and a handful others were named after a prominent driver (yes, a driver was a big deal those days!) who had also died in yet another motor accident.
There's something about the human being that defies outward impediments and goes on to dream impossible dreams. Our parents named us after great personalities because that is what they desired of us. When we hit the teens, we went on to give ourselves more unofficial names; all names of people we looked up to. If I remember well, musicians of the time were the big deal. Those of us who were teenagers in the late 70s will remember the days when every young man called Evans became "Evani" after the great but now aging Orchestra Mangelepab and leader, Kabila Kabanze "Evani."
Ordinary as we are, we have no trouble day-dreaming ourselves into desired lifestyles or achievements. It's a human thing. Hundreds of jiggers in our toes, and sometimes even in our fingers and buttocks, can never stop us day-dreaming ourselves into the life of some hero we connected with in a book or movie. What isn't so human is actually going on and becoming a Kennedy. Seeing ourselves in the dream comes naturally. Sadly, walking into the dream does not.
Yet, it can be done. And it should be done. That's what I want to talk to you about in this book. My Mum always tells me how I broke my parents' hearts when I was young. I looked stupid, acted stupid and appeared headed nowhere. I personally recall Dad wishing loudly that I could, by some miracle, scrap together grades that would at least enable me to join a primary teachers training college.
Thanks to God, I've done better. I believe that I'm well on my way to finding my place among Kenya's leading inspirational writers. But more importantly, I have attained my long held desire to live for others; to rebuild broken lives and restore dignity to broken hearts. Further down the road, I hope to inspire others to go one or two steps better than I have in their own areas of gifting.
In all this I remain, and will always remain an ordinary person. However, I have no intention of being ordinary in my dreams and aspirations. I need a fresh challenge every so often. I want to do what has not been done in my areas of calling and interest.
There is an advantage in having little expected of you. You know why? Every step you make is an achievement. Every step you make takes you into new territory. And if you patch together a dozen or two such steps, before you know it, you're all together in new territory, and you're making others believe that it can be done.
I don't know what your dreams are or, more importantly, what you think about yourself and those dreams. But I want you to come along with me. I won't keep you long; not longer than it takes to read 150 or so pages.
Like I said, there's something wonderful about being ordinary. So, just as you are, just where you are, as the Americans say, let's roll.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Kors Buys Italy's Versace Fashion House For $2.12 Billion

Fashion company Michael Kors is buying Versace, the Italian luxury brand founded by Gianni Versace in 1978, for $2.12 billion. The two fashion houses made the announcement Tuesday, one day after speculation spread about a potential deal. Donatella Versace, the artistic director of the Milan-based fashion house who helped lead the company after her brother's death in 1997, said it's the perfect time for the company to join with Michael Kors. "It has been more than 20 years since I took over the company along with my brother Santo and daughter Allegra," Donatella Versace said in a news release. "I am proud that Versace remains very strong in both fashion and modern culture."

Flair, parties, the exuberant world of Ronaldinho

The man who once lobbed England’s David Seaman from 40 yards, Ronaldinho has officially hung up his boots following a career of backheels, nutmegs, no-look passes, and Parisian party nights. Tricks, flicks and stepovers, to watch Ronaldinho play in his prime was to savour a festival of the “jogo bonito” — the beautiful game in his native Portuguese — and that always with his goofy smile. Both on and off the pitch, Ronaldinho was a free spirit, almost as infamous for his nocturnal lifestyle as he was famous for his silky skills. And it was the former that perhaps contributed to a gradual petering out of what was nonetheless a trophy-laden career. World Cup winner in 2002, Ballon d’Or winner in 2005, Champions League winner in 2006 and Copa Libertadores winner in 2013, Ronaldinho won the lot for both club and country. “God has been good to me, he allowed me to live football,” Ronaldinho told So Foot magazine in July. “I loved what I did… and I had the satisfaction of enjoying myse

Islamic State releases purported audio message from Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi

The leader of the Islamic State group urged followers to burn their enemies everywhere and target "media centers of the infidels," according to an audio recording released Thursday that the extremists said was by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. The reclusive leader of Islamic State, who has only appeared in public once, also vowed to continue fighting and lavished praise on his jihadis for their valor in the battlefield — despite the militants' loss of the northern Iraqi city of Mosul in July. "You soldiers of the caliphate, heroes of Islam and carriers of banners: light a fire against your enemies," said al-Baghdadi, a shadowy cleric who has been surrounded by controversy since the Sunni terror group emerged from al-Qaida in Iraq, its forerunner. Russian officials said in June there was a "high probability" that al-Baghdadi had died in a Russian airstrike on the outskirts of the Syrian city of Raqqa, the group's de facto capital. US officials later said